Friday 19 September 2014

Book Review: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Goodreads Description:

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
Remember. Survive. Run.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6186357-the-maze-runner?ac=1

Title: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)
Author: James Dashner
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Apocalyptic, Post Apocalyptic, Action, Thriller, Suspense 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 369 pages
Publisher: Chicken house
Source: Borrowed from friend


 I was introduced to the series as an alternative to the Hunger games when watch Elle from AllThatGlitters21 book reviews years ago. At that time I was not a fan of Dystopian so I put it off till a week ago when friend suggest we watch the movie and lend me the book.

Now all i can say is that I am hitting myself in the head for not reading the book sooner... sorry I am just not one who give into hypes easily :P

The book started out a bit slow and confusing but full of suspense and mystery for me at first as I had to understand all the slang and words the boys use like Med jack, slammer, etc as well as the introduction to the Glade's world. Eventually I managed to catch on and by the end of the book I was used to the slang. 
I felt like I was watching a group of guys talking gibberish but obviously i managed to catch on and gotten used to the dialog. But after the 2 or 3 chapter the book takes off.

The pacing of the book was good but the ending was intense and a bit confusing. I re read the last few chapters as it kinda left a big cliff hanging gap which was obviously is a set up for the next book but I felt like it was a bit too rush. Even though so the ending is pretty damn emotional... 

*wave fist at the freaking feels!!!*

There were a good balance of 'bormance' and friendship moments. The boys in the Glade form a good tight-knit society and manages to keep everything in order to survive the maze.

I like the cast of characters. Thomas, our main character wakes up in a lift where he finds himself in the Glade with about 50 other boys with not a clue on how or why he is there with the only memory of his name. He is different from the other boys in the glade. Curious, intelligent, brave and willing to help others he barely knows. Though he is all that I kinda love and hate his character as at times he can be a bit of an idiot with his not so wise choices but he always manages to counter his decisions and get himself out of the situation. Also reading his character reminded me a bit of Harry Potter.

The other boys in the Glade, it took a while for me to warm up to. A lot of them started out as snarky, annoying or mean but I'm guessing that that's their nature of how they talk to each other in the Glade. Even though there were lack of character development, you do get to know some of them like Alby, Newt, Minho, Gally and Chuck.

Chuck is definitely my favorite side character! He is like the annoying loveable little brother and I love his brotherly relationship with Thomas.

Minho was really snarky and sarcastic but can be loyal and friendly. Same goes for Alby. I found him really mean when I first read about him but I eventually like his personality being the leader of the group. The friendliest I've read is definitely Newt. 

Also Theresa, even though we don't get much character development on her I like reading about her! Trough the book you'll want to know why is she there? What's her link with Thomas?

The grievers in the book, I had a hard time picturing them so in my head I just think of the spiders from Harry Potter but its Hybrid with robotic legs.

I love the concept of this book! Its very different from cliche YA dystopian. I had so many theories going trough my mind like why are they in the maze, who is Thomas and Theresa and why do they have that link, what's with the memory wipe and so much more and the plot twist that answer some of  my theory really got me off guard! 

Overall definitely check this out if you like a dark unique twist to the dystopian genre. The suspense and mystery behind the maze makes the book a page turner along with the fast pace actions.

I'll probably be picking out the sequel 'The Scorch Trials' but not too soon.


 


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review - so glad you liked this! :D I need to read this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I felt like I was watching a group of guys talking gibberish " LOL this is so true Rou! I'm so glad we managed to catch on to the language though, because it was frustrating at first.

    Oh my gosh now that you mention it, I realise that they never really revealed the relationship with Theresa! HOW FRUSTRATING GAH. And I laugh so much at the bromance part, it definitely felt that way in the book.

    Lovely review Rou, I enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete